Summer is in full swing and that means blistering hot temperatures! If you’re like most people, you’re probably trying to stay cool by blasting the air conditioning. But did you know that if your air conditioner isn’t properly maintained, it could be costing you a lot of money in energy bills?
In this blog, we will discuss 9 tips for maintaining your air conditioner and keeping it running at peak performance! We will also discuss some benefits and aircon problems which may arise.
Keeping your air conditioner in good condition is essential for keeping your home cool and your energy bills low. Follow these tips and you can be sure that your AC unit will run at peak performance all summer long!
Change your air filter regularly
One of the most important things you can do to maintain your air conditioner is to change your air filter regularly. A dirty air filter will restrict airflow and cause your AC unit to work harder, which will lead to higher energy bills. Most filters should be replaced every month, but be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions.
Keep the area around your AC unit clear
If you want your air conditioner to run efficiently, be sure to keep the area around it clear. Make sure there is plenty of room for air to circulate and don’t place anything in front of the unit that could obstruct airflow.
Clean the evaporator and condenser coils
The evaporator and condenser coils are two of the most important parts of your AC unit. If these coils become dirty, it will cause the unit to work harder and use more energy. Be sure to clean them regularly using a coil cleaner or a garden hose.
Check the refrigerant level
If the refrigerant level in your AC unit is low, it will not be able to cool your home properly. Be sure to check the level regularly and add more refrigerant if necessary.
Make sure the outdoor unit is level
If the outdoor unit of your AC unit isn’t level, it can cause the unit to work harder and use more energy. Be sure to level it using shims or blocks of wood.
Check for leaks in the ducts
If there are any leaks in the ducts, it will cause the AC unit to work harder and use more energy. Be sure to check for leaks and fix them as soon as possible.
Don’t close off vents in unused rooms
If you close off vents in unused rooms, it will cause the AC unit to work harder and use more energy. Keep all the vents open so that the air can circulate evenly throughout your home.
Use a programmable thermostat
A programmable thermostat can help you save money on your energy bills by automatically adjusting the temperature based on your schedule. Be sure to install one and set it to the right temperature for your needs.
Get a maintenance check-up every year
It’s a good idea to have your AC unit inspected by a professional like airconservicing.org every year. They will be able to check for any problems and perform repairs as necessary.
10 aircon maintenance benefits:
- More efficient cooling – When an aircon is well-maintained and all its parts are clean and functioning optimally, it can cool your home more quickly and efficiently.
- Reduced energy consumption – A well-maintained AC unit will use less energy to cool your home, thus reducing your energy bills.
- Longer lifespan – A well-maintained AC unit will last longer than one that is not well-maintained.
- Fewer repairs – A well-maintained AC unit is less likely to need repairs, thus saving you time and money.
- Improved air quality – A well-maintained AC unit will circulate cleaner air throughout your home, thus improving your family’s health.
- Easier to operate – A well-maintained AC unit will be easier to operate and will function more smoothly.
- Less noise – A well-maintained AC unit will produce less noise than one that is not well-maintained.
- Safer to use – A well-maintained AC unit will be safer to use, as all of its parts will be in good working order.
- Better cooling performance – A well-maintained AC unit will provide better cooling performance than one that is not well-maintained.
- Increased peace of mind – By ensuring that your AC unit is well-maintained, you will have peace of mind knowing that it is in good working order and will function properly when you need it.
- Poor cooling – If your AC unit is not cooling your home properly, it may be due to a problem with the unit itself or with the ducts.
- Noisy operation – If your AC unit is making strange noises, it may be due to a problem with the fan or compressor.
- Leaks in the ducts – If there are leaks in the ducts, it will cause the AC unit to work harder and use more energy.
- Dirty coils – The coils of an AC unit must be kept clean or they will become clogged and the unit will not function properly.
- Low refrigerant level – If the refrigerant level in your AC unit is low, it will not be able to cool your home properly.
- Frozen coils – If the coils of your AC unit freeze, the unit will not be able to cool your home.
- Electrical problems – If you are experiencing electrical problems with your AC unit, it may be due to a problem with the wiring or motor.
- Thermostat problems – If the thermostat on your AC unit is not working properly, it will not be able to control the temperature of your home.
- Outdoor unit problems – If the outdoor unit of your AC unit isn’t level, it can cause the unit to work harder and use more energy. Be sure to level it using shims or blocks of wood.
Air conditioning units are critical for maintaining a comfortable home environment and ensuring your family’s health. To get the most out of yours, make sure to have it regularly maintained by a professional. These are just some of the benefits you can expect from a well-maintained AC unit. For more information, please contact your local air conditioning company.